9th grade general math and science
In this unit, students will learn about what engineering is and what engineers do. The concepts of classical mechanics, design and iteration will be defined and worked through.
- The students will be able to demonstrate how classical mechanics is used in the engineering process.
- The students will be able to correctly produce entries into their engineering notebook.
- The students will be able to produce a prototype of their design.
The major engineering concepts including classical mechanics, Design, CAD, Prototyping, manufacturing, and iteration will be featured.
- Unit Guide
- Internet Access
- VEX Robotics Kit
- Computers with Autodesk Inventor
- Storage containers
- Online Resources
- Classical Mechanics
- Structural Design
- CAD Models
- Assembly Drawings
- Manufacturing Plans
- Bill of Materials
- Maintenance Guide
- User Manuals
- Design Presentations
- Design Review
- Engineering Notebook
Day to Day Lesson Plan:
Open the lesson by having the students construct a list of things in the classroom that have been engineered.
Have the students compare their lists in small groups.
Explain that everything has been engineered and lead into the explanation of what engineering is and what engineers do on a daily basis.
Explain what Design is.
Introduce Engineering and Design Teams
Working on a Design Team
Using the Engineering Process [You can go into greater detail of the 11 steps on Day 3.]
Begin with Step 1 Understand
Continue through Step 3 Define
Begin with Step 4 Ideate
Continue through Step 5
Provide students the opportunity to create a prototype
Begin with Step 6
Continue through Step 8 Present
Begin with Step 9
Continue through Step 10
Allow students to create an iteration of their design
Introduce the Design Challenge
Allow for additional work on the Design Challenge
Allow time for students to document their process.
Assessment of vocabulary
Review any concepts that were challenging for the students.
Engineering Notebook “Seed Questions”:
- What does an engineer do?
- What is something that you have used today that was designed by an engineer?
- Why is classical mechanics such an important part of engineering?
- How does having constraints placed on a design change the engineering process?
- Why is making a prototype so important in the design process?
- What have you learned from the iterative process?