10.8: Design Activity
Lifting Mechanism Construction
Using the lessons learned in this unit, students should follow a design process similar to the one described in Unit 1 to determine a lifting mechanism for their competition robot. Students should brainstorm multiple solutions and record the entire process in their engineering notebooks. Students should choose one concept and design it in Autodesk Inventor and/or build it using VEX Components.
When designing your Lifting mechanism, ask yourself the following questions to get started:
- What do you want your lifting mechanism construction to achieve?
- Will a simple Elevator lift achieve the Design objective or would it be better to use a 4 Bar?
- Will you need to use a Rotating Joint?
- Do you need to use Linkages to transfer the motion?
- How many motors are you going to have to use?
- Can you use Passive Assistance?
To be able to complete this activity you should have a basic understanding of the Autodesk Inventor user interface, navigation, and know how to Create Parts and work with Assemblies. For review, please refer to Appendix 9, 'Basic Inventor Commands Overview' for further information on these.